Sunday, February 13, 2011
Cultural clash
This entry is about cultural differences and a situation in which I've experienced a awkward moment. The situation took place my first day at work. I was introduced to my department and was getting to know everyone there. A question came up about my nationality and I answered I am Haitian. A response came right after from a coworker asking me if I knew how to use black magic and called it voodoo, the practice that stems out from New Orleans. I was highly offended in that he would automatically assumed that i practiced black magic and also assume that vodou (the correct spelling) was some sort devil worship that you see in horror movies. I quickly clarified what the practice was exactly and told the individual I was devote catholic but gave a little tid bit that 98 percent of Haitians who practice are devote Catholics and winked. I think that may have intimidated the individual a little.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I would be interested to know what the real practice of voduu means. I f you have as second, maybe you can tell us more?
ReplyDelete--prof K
Well haitian vodou's main focus is on the spirits from old African folklore that are syncretised with the catholic Saints. There is no actual black magic that you see always depicted in movies involved. The spirits are cal lwas or loas and they act as conduits to God known as Bondeye (Good God).
ReplyDeleteI can't believe that! I hate it when people make such broad assumption like that. It's ridiculous how certain things have been "Hollywoodized." Here's the definition, strait from urbandictionary.com lol
ReplyDelete1. hollywoodize
-To totally F something up beyond recognition. May apply to historical events, biographies, basic human morals, scientific principles, common sense, or even logic itself.