Sunday, April 24, 2011
The ABCs of DISC
Before spring break we asked to take a personal profile exam to determine what type of personality we possess. It was slew of questions that I felt had nothing to do with ones personality, well some of them at least. At the end of it all, it determined that my personality was Dc which in the hand out means dominant conscientiousness. I agree that I am the conscientious type because I'm more of a diplomat and I take the time to weigh the consequences of my actions in a given situation. The only time I display the attributes of dominance is the when situations are bleak and other members of the team don't have a solution. I don't wish to be another personality type mainly because it's the best suited for managers and I hope that the exam is correct on its assumptions. Knowing people's personality type would help for situations in which you can assign tasks to different members of a team. Would I administer this test to my own organizations, yes. Because knowing ones personality would help in how I can approach my members.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
As I remember, the professor said that Dc types are not good managers:). AS I am Dc type too, I can understand the way you also try to control a situation. This is what we can not change, I tried many times and I know sometimes I push my way too far. All my friends know that this type suites me and that I can not change the way I am, but I can improve on my negative traits. These types do not like to work together with others and they want their on way. As you said, you are diplomat, it is a huge positive trait.It is good to know how to " categorize" people , especially when there is no other fast way to find out about them just by these tests.
ReplyDeleteI think using this test can help us to gain some basic understanding about the people, but nothing more than that. So as long as we make sure we add other factors in making our decisions, this test can be very helpful for an organization!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you about administering this test! I think it would be very beneficial to an organization to use as a tool. It can help managers to focus on what works and doesn’t work for individual employees. I am pretty good at reading the personalities of co-workers around me but I think this would be great way to enhance it!
ReplyDelete